Facebook - facebook.com/get.buzzing
The buzzing berry smoothie is an absolute favourite in many households. Super quick and easy to make and full of natural goodness. A great way to start the day or as an afternoon snack.
All you need is:
Blend all the ingredients together if the mixture becomes too thick add either milk or water and blend for a little longer.
A Day in the Life of...
8AM - single espresso, prepare breakfast today I had- omlette with pepper, mushroom, streaky smoked bacon, chilli, salt&pepper eggs & half an avocado. Pint of water. I avoid carbohydrates in the morning as on training days I find that protein and fats fill me up for longer.
A lovely review about our delicious bars written by Helen Webb.
Being a lover of all things food related, especially anything made from natural ingredients that is free from colours, preservatives and additives, I was delighted to be asked to test and review getbuzzing flapjacks.
As a triathlete, I’m always on the lookout for ways to take on board energy on the go. These flapjacks didn’t disappoint for a number of reasons. Firstly, they’re tasty - not too sweet and not too bland, plus their buttery flavour makes them feel like you’re having a really luxurious treat! They are moist, so easy to swallow, which is a real plus when you’re on the bike. Made primarily from oats, fruits, seeds, butter and honey getbuzzing bars are a low GI food, delivering a steady flow of energy. However, they are rather crumbly, which means you’ve got to be careful when eating them so you don’t find lots of bits escaping to the ground.
With nut allergies being a real concern for some, these flapjacks really hit the mark, being free from three types of nut. For those watching their waistlines, you should be aware that they are fairly high in fat, maybe less of a concern for those of us who are continuously dashing around.
I took a few getbuzzing bars (Wowbutter, banana and apricot, and date and seed) out with me on a hilly, 90 mile bike ride round the Surrey Hills. They were great! The natural flavours were the first thing I noticed, and because they tasted good, they put a big smile on my face and helped me forget about the pain of the hills. They also delivered on energy, keeping me going without ever getting that ‘heavy’ feeling in my belly. These bars are easy to digest when on the move, an important plus when fuelling on a bike ride.
I’m a huge peanut butter fan and will happily add it to pretty much everything I eat, so was curious about how the Wowbutter flavour would compare to peanut butter. I was more than pleasantly surprised - it was awesome!! This flavour of flapjack was definitely my favourite! I honestly could not tell that it didn’t contain nuts - amazing!
These bars do live up to their claim of being ridiculously tasty healthy food that doesn’t compromise on taste. I’ll be keeping a supply in my kit bag from now on!
Keeping it natural...
A great May Bank Holiday quick and easy recipe to make for friends or with the kids. Keeping it raw and healthy yet extremely delicious and perfect to have with a morning coffee or afternoon tea.
1. Soak the dates for 15 minutes in warm water until soft.
2. While the dates are soaking blend the nuts together to form a crumb texture and set aside in a bowl.
3. Blend together cocoa powder, coconut oil and 1/4 cup of shredded coconut and chai seeds until it reachers a smooth texture.
4. Add the ground nuts and mix together.
5. Once completely combined, remove the mixture from the processor and spoon and roll into balls.
6. Coat with the rest of the shredded coconut and put in the fridge for a few hours until they reach a firmer texture.
Lets get buzzing!
When your short on time but want to get a quick HIIT circuit we have the answer! This quick and intense workout will get your heart racing and can be done at home, at work or in the gym. So no excuses!
Make sure to time yourself and have water bottle to hand - LETS GO!
Why we love coffee...
So what really is all this coffee hype about, is it even any good for us?
Well surprisingly coffee has some interesting health benefits which will soon make you understand why it is so popular!
1. Coffee helps you burn fat - Caffeine helps fat cells break down body fat and use it as fuel for training. If your planning on buying any fat burning supplements we guarantee that caffeine will be one of the main ingredients. Caffeine has been shown to boost metabolism by 3-11% and dramatically increase fat burning potential.
2. Coffee boosts your physical performance - Have a cup of black coffee about 30 minutes before your workout and your performance can improve by 11-12%. Caffeine increases adrenaline levels in your blood. Adrenaline is your body’s “fight or flight” hormone which helps you to prepare for physical activity.
3. Coffee can brighten up your mood - A couple of cups a coffee a day can help give you that boost you need. Caffeine stimulates the central nervous system and boosts production of neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, and noradrenaline, which elevate your mood.
4. Coffee may lower risk of Type II diabetes and reduce risk of parkinsons disease - Caffeine can decrease your insulin sensitivity and impairs glucose tolerance, therefore reducing your risk of type 2 diabetes. Studies have shown that regular coffee drinking decreases risk of Parkinson’s disease by 25%. There’s evidence that coffee causes activity in the part of the brain affected by Parkinson’s.
A huge HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Kate the lovely owner, founder and wonder woman of getbuzzing!
We have celebrated here at the getbuzzing HQ with some delicious peanut butter cups and we had to share this ridiculously simple 2 ingredient recipe to get your taste buds tickling.
2 Bars of Dark Chocolate (we used 85% Lindt)
Peanut butter (If you are allergic to nuts you can use wowbutter - available in Tesco)
1. Grab a cupcake tin and line with cupcake holders (whichever size you fancy).
2. Break up 1 bar of dark chocolate into a glass bowl and heat over boiling water until melted.
3. Pour the dark chocolate evenly into the cupcake holders (this should make around 8).
4. If you want these to harden quickly place in the freezer for 5 minutes or if you have more time place in the fridge and leave to set.
5. Once set add a nice spoonful of peanut butter (or any other nut butter you fancy) on each.
6. Melt the second bar of dark chocolate exactly the same as before and pour evenly on top of the peanut butter - again putting in the fridge/freezer to set.
And voila! Chocolate and peanut butter cups ready and waiting to be eaten. A perfect birthday treat!
What’s wrong with carbs? They’ve been rapidly cemented into enemy status by the media, and any ‘clean-eating’ health fanatic tends to steer well clear of the dreaded C word. But are they really bad for you? The answer is no.
Sure, if you cut out any food group for a period of time, then it will result in a degree of weight loss in the short term. When you cut carbs in your diet, this reduces the glycogen stores in your muscles and allows the kidneys to excrete water more readily, resulting in relatively quick weight loss. Your protein and fat intake increase as a percentage of calories consumed when you reduce carbs, and both of these food groups also encourage water loss.
If you’re sedentary, a low carb diet can work in the short term, but it’s usually not sustainable. If you’re exercising, a low carb diet isn’t recommended as this is your main source of energy, plus water loss can result in dehydrated muscles.
When you consume carbohydrates, your body converts them to glycogen, which is then stored in the muscles for energy. For every gram of glycogen stored, you gain approximately 2.7 grams of water. This water retention occurs because your kidneys hold on to sodium in response to carbohydrate consumption. Your body reacts to the higher sodium levels by storing more water to keep the sodium-blood concentration at a healthy level.
Restricting healthy carbs can cause a sluggish metabolism due to decreased thryroid function; lower levels of muscle/strength-building hormones such as testosterone, while the stress hormone cortisol increases; and muscle loss (research reveals that lowering carb intake can affect muscle mass even if protein consumption stays the same).
It’s not healthy to overly restrict any macronutrient, or indeed to oversimplify your food choices by classifying foods as either good or bad. Nutrition is a far more complex beast and it’s actually beneficial to incorporate a moderate amount of healthy carbohydrates in your diet. Carbohydrates are essential fuel for our bodies and brains – we wouldn’t survive without them.
Low GI foods such as oats, wholegrains, vegetables, brown rice, fruit, sweet potatoes, beans and pulses are all ideal carbs – just make sure you avoid the sugary, refined types of carbs.
It’s all common sense really, but remember - carbs are not the enemy. Oversimplification is.Our bars are a perfect healthy snack which provides you with natural healthy carbs to give you the energy you need - Get buzzing today and enjoy the delicious taste of all our bars!
Everyone loves a good sweet treat in the afternoon with a nice hot cup of tea and the majority of the time we grab the nearest chocolate bar or biscuit. We have come up with this tasty, simple and incredibly delicious recipe that is made with all natural ingredients making it healthy and nutritious to give you the quick boost you need in the afternoon!
Ingredients2 scoops vanilla protein
1. Pre-heat oven to 160c
2. Place all ingredients into a large bowl and mix together until you get a sticky cookie dough mix.
3. Lay baking paper on a tray and and separate the mix into portions.
4. Place in oven for 160C for 20 minutes, remove and allow to cool.
5 Amazing Heath Benefits...
We all know water is definitely not the most exciting drink to have throughout the day but staying hydrated is so important to help with bodily functions. Ever thought about adding a slice of lemon to your water?
Lemons are loaded with healthy benefits and a great source of Vitamin C. Believe it or not one cup of fresh lemon juice provides 187% of your daily recommended serving of vitamin C along with a healthy supply of potassium magnesium and copper.
Our top 5 health benefits:
1. Supports the immune system: Lemons are rich in Vitamin C, which will help boost your immune system and assist the body in fighting those awful flu symptoms.
2. Aids digestion: Lemons trick the liver into producing bile, which helps keep food moving through your body smoothly. Also helps to relive indigestion and ease an upset stomach. A great natural liver cleanse.
3. Rejuvinates skin - Getting enough vitamin C from your Lemon water will keep the body producing collagen which helps to soothe out those wrinkles resulting in younger looking skin. Result!
4. Helps with weight loss - Lemons contain pectin, which is a fibre commonly found in fruits which will help to keep you fuller for longer and keep those cravings at bay.
5. Freshens breath: The antiseptic qualities in lemon juice help kill off bad bacteria in the mouth by acting as a disinfectant. Amazing!
This little yellow fruit packs a lot of nutritional punch. Make it a point to begin your day with a glass of cold or warm lemon water. We guarantee it will give you that buzz for the day and with all its cleansing and healing effects will have positive effects on your health in the long run.
An Easter Sunday wouldn't be the same with out a traditional Easter simnel cake to share with the family! This delicious recipe will get your taste buds tingling and can be kept in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks or even frozen for a couple of months after making. So if you are short on time over the Easter Weekend get baking this yummy recipe today and you will already be prepared for weekend!
Combine the fruits and stem ginger in a bowl. Put the tea in another bowl, pour over 125ml/4fl oz boiling water and infuse for 5-10 minutes. Strain the liquid over the fruit, then stir in the golden syrup and ground ginger.
Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4/fan oven 160C. Line a baking tin (we used a 7.5cm/3in deep, 18cm/7in round cake tin) add non-stick baking parchment.
To make the almond paste combine all the ingredients from the list. Whisk until everything is mixed and then use your hands to bring it all together into a big ball. Cover with cling film and pop in the fridge.
Beat the butter and muscavado sugar in a large bowl with an electric whisk until the mixture is light in colour and drops softly from the beaters. Beat in the eggs a little at a time, then gently stir in the sifted wholemeal until smooth. Finally, stir in the dried fruits and their liquid.
Spoon half the cake mixture into the tin and smooth the surface. Remove your ball of almond paste from the fridge and cut it in half. On your kitchen surface roll out a sheet of baking paper and dust with wholemeal flour. Put half of the paste onto the baking paper and dust with more flour as well as the rolling pin (The almond paste is sticky so it will need quite a bit) Then roll out the paste into a thin sheet, about the size of your baking tray. Once rolled, use the baking paper to help you manoeuvre it on top of the batter in your baking tray. Make sure everything is covered and trim the edges.
Cover the top of the tin with foil so it stays in place. Bake for 50 minutes, remove the foil and bake for a further 45 minutes to 1 hour until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Leave in the tin until completely cold, then remove and strip away the lining paper.
For the decoration, put the remaining almond paste on some baking paper lightly dusted with wholemeal flour and do the same as we did above. Brush the jam over the surface of the cake, then add the paste to the top.
Preheat the grill until hot. Place the cake on a baking tray and grill until light brown on top. Remove and leave to cool. This can then be served or hideaway in an airtight container until the big weekend!
There is nothing more refreshing than a delicious green nutritious smoothie to start your day and as its green we thought it was the perfect recipe to share on St Patricks Day!
If you struggle to get your daily greens in this is a great way to get those nutrients in one hit. The colour may put you off but I promise it doesn't taste as bad as it looks!
Handful of Spinach/Kale
Splash of water or coconut water if needed
1 TBSP Natural Greek Yoghurt
Pull all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
Give it a try and let us know what you think, this will definitely get you buzzing!!
Sundays are known as the day for relaxing and chilling out but the Getbuzzing team love to get in a good circuit on a Sunday!
Make sure to do a quick warm up and have a water bottle to hand to make sure you are keeping yourself hydrated.
30 Seconds on each exercise with a 1 minute rest after each round.
Time yourself, write it down and try and aim to beat your previous time if you do it again.
Simple yet effective - Lets Getbuzzing!
These are the best blueberry muffins ever. Leave the...
These are the best blueberry muffins ever. Leave the mix to rest for as long as your willpower can bear…
1 Getbuzzing Berry Bar
180g Almond Flour
6 Tbsp Agave Nectar
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
350ml Almond Milk
1 Tbsp Sunflower Seeds
We’re excited to announce that our 100% nut free Banana...
We’re excited to announce that our 100% nut free Banana, Berry and Date & Seed bars will be hitting the shelves in 63 Boots stores nationwide from this month. Get down to your local store today and fill your boots! Stock up on snacks for the whole family to enjoy.
And don’t miss out on our competition this month – for your chance to win a bumper box of getbuzzing goodies, simply upload a photo of yourself with your getbuzzing bar in Boots and we’ll contact the lucky winner in November. Tweet us @getbuzzing, tag us on Instagram @getbuzzing or upload to our Facebook page today!
Mixed Berry Granola This is perfect to make in bulk...
Mixed Berry Granola This is perfect to make in bulk. Simply store it in an airtight container and dive into it every morning, making for a nutritious fast breakfast.
This will make a couple of weeks’ worth 1 Wowbutter Bar 2 tbsp. coconut oil 150ml agave nectar 250g jumbo porridge oats 50g sunflower seeds 100g flakes almonds 100g dried cranberries 50g dried coconut
In a large bowl mix the coconut oil and agave nectar, now mix in the remaining ingredients, give it all a really good mix ensuring everything is coated in the mix. Crumble the getbuzzing Wowbutter bar over the mix to add the final touches. Spread the mixture onto a large baking tray or 2 if needed. Then place into an oven at 150oc for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Place into an airtight container and to use simply add milk.
The team at Fitcetera have done a review on our fantastic, naturally delicious...
The team at Fitcetera have done a review on our fantastic, naturally delicious range and are also offering you to win a FREE box of wowbutter bars so follow the link and get involved now. Thank you to Georgina at Fitcetera for the write up!’ ‘visit them at www.fitcetera.co.uk and follow them online on twitter @fitcetera