Hi everyone, it’s Tiff here – GetBuzzing’s resident recipe developer! For those of you who follow GetBuzzing on social media or regularly check out their blog, you’ll know that I love to create delicious recipes using all of the delicious flavour of bars that GetBuzzing has to offer. But for a bit of a change this blog post is all about nut-free baking – something that the GetBuzzing team are very passionate about.
Nut allergies are becoming increasingly prevalent, and so whether you’re baking for a family member or friend with a known allergy, or baking for a bigger crowd, nut-free baking is the safest way to ensure that you’re not putting those with allergies at risk. Some people don’t like nuts either, so nut-free baking will allow you to keep them happy too!
How to go nut-free
- Every flavour of GetBuzzing’s bars are nut-free, and so using these in your baking is a good way to start. Check out the many recipes I’ve created using these on the rest of the blog!
- Nuts bring flavour and texture to bakes, so look for alternatives that you can swap in. Nut butter can be replaced with tahini or seed butter, but these can be a little bit bitter, so you might need to add extra sweetness. Chopped nuts can be swapped for pumpkin or sunflower seeds as these have a similar crunchy texture, making them ideal for stirring in or topping off your bakes
- If you’re a gluten- and nut-free baker, when a recipe calls for ground almonds, try coconut flour or a gluten-free flour instead. These have a similar fine texture to ground almonds, but are safer alternatives for those with a nut allergy
- Oils – if a recipe calls for a nut oil, feel free to try rapeseed oil or olive oil instead
Top nut-free recipes
- With all the flavour of peanut butter but without the nuts, my Wowbutter truffles are one of my absolute favourites!
- Perfect for weekend brunching or a delicious dessert, a stack of my fluffy banana pancakes are an ideal nut-free treat
- Want to get the kids into the kitchen? My GetBuzzing thumbprint cookies are a fun and simple recipe to give them an introduction to baking, and you can choose the flavour
So whether you’re nut-free yourself or just want to explore nut-free baking, it’s much simpler than you think, so give it a try!